POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:17:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: John VanSickle
Date: 20 Feb 2008 16:38:07
Message: <47bc9dbf$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> You didn't answer his question. I'm also curious about render times, but
>> you completely dodged the question.
>
> See the indigo site gallery. Some captions include render time. Of
> course that tells you nothing about how good/bad the image looked in
> less time. Remember that with brute force you see a lot even after 1 minute.

How long do you have to wait before the graininess has reliably become
unnoticeable?  That's a question I need an answer to before I can use
any unbiased renderer for animation work.  I need a renderer that won't
give me a picture unless the quality is consistent from one frame to the
next.

With scanline and ray-tracing renderers, there comes a specific point at
which the renderer is *done* with the image and is ready to render the
next image.  Unbiased renderers are never really done; they just go
until the user decides the quality is good enough.  Sure, the user may
be able to set the renderer to go only a certain amount of time, but
except for a very short clip, and only after rendering a couple of
frames in that clip, can the time required for each frame be predicted
with any meaningful reliability.

Regards,
John